09/05/2014

Selah Sue at Reyers Laat - talking about her depression

Scroll down and click on FULL SCREEN to watch it
TRANSLATION:
Reyers: Hi Sanne and mister De Wachter. Sit down please.
Reyers: So, welcome both of you, we brought you here on request of Sanne. Hello Sanne, I’m gonna call you Sanne because you’re not here as Selah Sue but as Sanne Putseys.
Sanne: Yes
Reyers: It’s about a reportage from a few weeks ago on Panorama with the subject ‘Taking pills for depression’. You have some questions about it?
Sanne: Yeah, questions is a big word, but I wanted to highlight a part of the reportage because I felt that It was not clear enough. I wanted to do this a long time ago but it did not happen because my music was more important.
Reyers: Good, I’m curious. Let us watch a part of the documentary.
- IRVING KIRSCH - 
Sanne: Yeah then I thought that’s ridiculous. Then I have to say, the people who get better with a placebo, wouldn’t have been really sick. In my case,I am 100% of who I am, by medication. Without antidepressants, it had never succeeded. I'm not saying medication is everything, but for people who are really sick, I think it's so wonderful that we live in this society now.
Reyers: You gonna explain ‘your case’ later. But first we gonna listen to Mister De Wachter. Why are you here?
De Wachter: 1 million people in Belgium are taking antidepressants and they are not all ‘sick’.
Reyers: Yes Sanne, when did it go wrong with you?
Sanne: It started when I was about 13 years old. But the depressions were already in the family, so for me it was partly genetic. For me it started with a small incident, what happens a lot in puberty. Be rejected, love from friends. I really don’t blame them because when it was not happened, there was probably something else that could go wrong. My family have helped me a lot. They are incredible. Also the help from psychologists and before that: sports, write everything down, do everything that can help for not being ‘desperate’. I came through until my 18 years. And then it started. It actually began on Marktrock, when I had to play on the Vismarkt, my first big performance. Then I wasn’t already ‘sick’ but I was very close. I know a lot of people will now be shocked with what I going to say now, but I remember when I had to go on stage, I had no contact anymore with friends, and nobody knew I was playing there. Before I had to go on stage my mother and sister were there and they were like ‘Come on Sanne, put your pants on, get dressed and go on stage, you can do this’. So, I did that. But while I was playing I wasn’t enjoying the fact that I was playing in front of Leuven, my own city, but I was thinking: ‘ Soon, I need to face all these people, how…’
Reyers: Many people will be shocked now. We have found a song by you which is really intimate. The song called Break.You have written this song when you were about 16 years old?
Sanne: 16, 17 right
 - BREAK -
Reyers: Isn’t it hard for you to watch this?
Sanne: No. It is actually a ‘life lesson’ and it is very important for me. It is all OK, life is a lesson and there is as much pain and sadness in the world than luck and happiness. I think people have to accept the fact that it’s not all about being happy. When people accept this, they will not use medication so quickly.
Reyers: But without medication you hadn’t been here.
Sanne: No. I needed that little push to go on with my life. I don’t say that it’s all from medication that I am here. You have to talk a lot and the environment is very important. But if you are really sick, it is the best method to get out of the depression.
De Wachter: I’ll try to answer this. Antidepressants will only work by people who are really sick. The same with antibiotics, people use them to much when it’s not really necessary. In 70% of the cases will antidepressants work when people are really sick, if it doesn’t, then we are talking about something else. Our family is also very very important and you have to talk with them, the environment, and your own motivation. I’m glad that you came here with your story because for people this is going to mean a lot. You are beautiful, successful and for people it is important to see that you had also a difficult puberty and you had to fight to be where you are now.
Sanne: How do you know when people are depressive? What are the symptoms because I really want to know that.
De Wachter: When people are really tired, reduces appetite, if they have suicidal thoughts, if they can’t enjoy life anymore and everything is too hard…
Sanne: Yes I’ve been there. Not for a very long time because I wanted to get out. I can identify with the symptoms. Get out of your bed, brush your teeth, get dressed, everything was so hard and no longer livable. Reyers: You are still taking pills?
Sanne: Yes, it was my birthday 2 days ago, I’m 25 now.
Reyers: Happy birthday!!
Sanne: Thank you. I tried to stop taking the pills 6 months ago but I failed. I just failed. I want to clarify that all my success isn’t the beginning of being happy. It’s not what made me happy. It’s really handy but it is not necessary.
De Wachter: yes, people have to know that they CAN BE unhappy.
Sanne: Yeah it’s a taboo that people have to be always happy. De Wachter. Exactly.
Sanne: I am just really lucky that I have my family. They were always there for me. I have really close friends and they cannot express their feelings. I think that’s ridiculous.
Reyers: I hope many people do something with your story and I hope it will help for them
Sanne: Yes that’s what I want.
Reyers: And now something for Selah Sue, when do your 2nd album comes out?
Sanne: It's something about November I think.
Reyers: Then we ask you again for an interview in November. Sanne: That’s ok (smilee)

No comments:

Post a Comment